Nintendo DSi Teardown Report
Since the kids have the DS Lite (previous generation) versions, it's kinda cool to see what upgrades and new features Nintendo stuffed into the new model.
- The DSi has an integrated SD/SDHC expansion slot.
You can now use a normal SD card for the playback of AAC audio
files and external storage of pictures or downloaded software.
Can anyone say homebrew apps?
- Two VGA CMOS digital cameras (0.3 megapixels); one on the
internal hinge pointed towards the user and the other
in the outer shell.
Chips of interest, left to right and a view of the rest of the DSi in pieces, and a teardown of the original version. (NOTE: Clicking on the images will bring up larger versions)
- Samsung 1st generation MoviNAND KMAPF0000M: 256 MB NAND Flash and MMC controller.
- 82DBS08164D-70L: Fujitsu Ltd 128-bit FCRAM (fast-cycle RAM).
- Nintendo's custom ARM CPU.
The full step by step teardown report is here.